When I think of Fall, I always think of the beautiful colors that the Autumn season perpetuates. Unfortunately, living in Florida, we often do not get to see the wondrous changing colors of the leaves, since the seasonal transition here typically goes straight from super hot, humid summer sunshine to the frigid, gray frost of winter. That’s why I found this simple door ornament craft to be the perfect accessory to our home during what is my favorite of all the seasons… Why not bring the Autumnal beauty to my home myself?
I originally saw this idea in the Better Homes and Gardens magazine, but decided to give it our own personal touches with a pretty, copper bow and eye catching gold and red glitters. What’s even better is that this is such a quick and easy project, that the little kiddos can help you put this beautiful piece together. I really enjoyed the idea of choosing multiple different colors of glitter to accentuate all the leaves, and all the many different colors one might see during this eye-catching season. And what kid doesn’t love to throw glitter all over a glue-drenched anything?
The steps to making this beautiful arrangement are as easy as they are pretty self explanatory. Here are some of the items you are going to need to re-create this decoration:
Easy Fall Door Decoration:
- 10-12 Fabric Leaves
- Multiple Glitters
- Wire Ribbon
- Mod Podge (+ paintbrush for application)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Wreath Hanger OR Nail
- Floral Wire (optional)
- One by one, cover fabric leaves in mod podge and sprinkle with choice of glitter until desired look is achieved (decorate however many of the leaves you’d like in each color – make it your own!). Leave to dry – roughly 1-2 hours.
- With your scissors, cut any stems off fabric leaves. Cut your ribbon into 20″ pieces, and hot glue onto the backs of each leaf. Let cool.
- Once hot glue is set, adjust all leaves to the look of your choice (how you would like for them to fall once hung), and knot the ribbons at the top. Trim ends.
- Optional: Using leftover ribbon, create a bow to attach to the knot at the top of your decoration using your floral wire.
- Hang, and admire your creation!
We absolutely loved the way this decoration came out. It makes our front door look great, and adds just the right amount of fall-love to our home. Enjoy 🙂