Muffins. Pretty much a favorite breakfast treat of mine for, oh, I don’t know, the last 28 years of my life (maybe a few years shy… I did at one point have very few teeth). When I was pregnant with Kaden, my husband and I lived near an amazing farmer’s market that brought in the most delicious, jumbo muffins every Sunday. So, naturally, every Sunday I put on a pot of coffee, walked down to the farmer’s market, purchased two mega-muffins, and indulged with my cup-o-joe.
Being pregnant round two, I’ve have had an inkling to make my own muffins as a quick, and easy to grab on-the-go breakfast option for those mornings we are feeling especially rushed. Also, I’ve found that at almost seven months pregnant, my appetite has finally caught up to me, and I basically wake up starving each morning… so a yummy, pre-made anything is something of my pregnant lady dreams come morning.
I also thought that it would be nice for my husband to have something to grab as he is walking out the door each morning, as he usually doesn’t stop to make himself breakfast before he heads out for work. I don’t know how he makes it to lunch without passing out… but he does it. Albeit, now we don’t have to worry about premature fainting while he is driving from office to office, as he is especially fond of these Banana-Coconut Muffins.
On their own, banana muffins are a natural, go-to for breakfast-type muffin; yummy and full of enough natural sugar to wake a guy up in the morning, fiber to keep him full for a while. The addition of coconut was something that was totally inspired by my husband, since it is probably his favorite flavor anything. Adding coconut both to the batter, and sprinkling a healthy amount on top of each muffin to toast-up while baking, is something of dreams for those coconut-loving men everywhere: Win-win for the coconut-obsessed, as well as the pregnant, starving ladies out there – clearly, these muffins are dream makers.
These muffins are dense, delicious, and moist. They offer enough sugar to satisfy that sweet tooth that many of us crave from any muffin, but are also mellow enough not to send you into full-blown sugar coma. I am definitely satisfied with just one of these guys in the morning. They are crazy easy to make, and ripe bananas are always fun for your toddler or young child to mash up so they can participate in the baking! Plus, my little guy absolutely loves these, as I’m sure your children probably will, too!
We, of course, use all organic ingredients, but if you aren’t into that, then these muffins are good with just normal, ol’, conventional ingredients, as well! Add more or less coconut as you choose – I typically add a bit more than indicated, since my husband does like it so much.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat, white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe, mashed bananas
- 1 stick melted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375' and line 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, melted butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the coconut until well-combined.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into your wet mixture; do not over-mix.
- Divide batter into muffin tins, filling each cup about half way with batter. Sprinkle the remaining coconut on each muffin.
- Cook until coconut is just golden brown, and each muffin is cooked all the way through - about 25 minutes.
- Remove muffins from muffin tray, and let cool on rack.